What to do if you find a baby wild animal

Thank you for caring about wildlife!! 

Ame is a Kentucky licensed wildlife rehabilitator with a graduate degree in Environmental Science. She is licensed for mammals and reptiles. We are not licensed for birds. We take in all species depending on space. We specialize in raccoons, skunks, groundhogs, fox, bobcat, and turtles. 

We can only save as many animals as we have resources for. Help us out with a purchase from our Amazon Wishlist



9/13/19 Update: We have a full house with limited space. We currently have openings for turtles, fox, bobcat and squirrels.

Always feel free to call us with questions.  859-242-1037. Texting is the best way to get me. I only have two hands. Your patience is appreciated - please remember I am working a 16 hour day and have a paying job. The phone is not always my priority. 

We do not take bats. I recommend Brigette Brouillard, Second Chances in Louisville, Ky for bats. 

Kentucky Wildlife Rehabilitation Association has a list of Kentucky licensed wildlife rehabilitators. Please remember that wildlife rehabbers are volunteers. Many do not offer transportation services and can not legally give you care advice for an animal you want to keep. Most rehabbers will give you advice on how to stabilize the baby until you can get it to a licensed wildlife rehabilitator.

 orphaned baby

Fawns having vet check with  Dr. Glaza

Fawns having vet check with Dr. Glaza

PLAN A – Plan A is always always always try to reunite the family and verify if the baby is actually an orphan. Many “rescued” babies are actually kidnap victims. Animal babies do fall out of nests and they may appear to be alone. This does not mean they are abandoned. Their mother can and will still care for them. Monitor the baby from a distance. Do not play with the baby (yes, they are cute) or try to feed it. This will only cause further problems. Check in a couple hours to see if it is still there. Chances are the mother has come and taken the baby. All is well. Good job!

PLAN B – Plan B is for after you have monitored the baby and have not seen a mother or siblings. The baby is possibly crying and moving around without direction. The baby may be shivering and appears cold. Call a licensed wildlife rehabilitator. At this point the baby may need intervention. If you are able to take the baby to a rehabber you will need to carefully place it in a box with a towel or other warm bedding. Secure the box for transportation. The animal will appreciate being in a quiet dark place. Don’t allow anyone to handle it and do not try to feed it. Handling a wild baby causes stress that may lead to death.

Please keep in mind that it is illegal for you to keep or treat a wild animal. If you remove a wild animal from the wild you are obligated by law to get it to a licensed rehabilitation specialist within 24 hours. 

 an injured baby.

PLAN A –If you find a baby animal who has wounds, broken bones, has been hit by a car or caught by the family pet then call a wildlife rehabber right away. Also, babies who appear emancipated or have fleas or lice need medical attention. 

If you can move the animal safely then transfer the baby to a box or carrier carefully. You may need to use a towel to cover the animal or slide it onto a board or piece of cardboard. If you can not move the animal safely you can call your conservation officer and request assistance. You will need to carefully place it in a box with a towel or other warm bedding. Secure the box for transportation. The animal will appreciate being in a quiet dark place. Don't allow anyone to handle it and do not try to feed it.

What to do if you have bats in your belfry or squirrels in your attic.

We are not a pest control service and cannot make house calls to remove wildlife pests. We can offer you phone support on how to deal with wildlife in a humane and friendly way!

You can use a humane no kill trap if you have an adult animal that may need medical care such as a fox with mange. Or call your local conservation officer to assist. Do not try to handle a sick adult animal. You can then safely bring the animal to us in the cage and we will get them medical attention. Do not try to handle or touch a trapped animal. Do not give food. 

We do not offer transportation or pick up services. We simply do not have the time, money and volunteers to drive all over seven counties. During baby season we are normally feeding babies every one to two hours. 

We are greatly appreciative of those of you who bring us orphaned and or hurt wildlife so that we may tend to them.

We are always in need of volunteers who are able to transport animals. Let us know if you want to volunteer!

Want to learn more about wildlife? Check out my wildlife blog to answer your questions about native wildlife species. Each blog tells about the animal and offers advice on how to attract or humanly repel that species.

Check out my children’s picture book on Amazon

As an Affiliate Associate with select sites, Fox Run Environmental Education Center, may earn fees from qualifying purchases. We only refer products that we have used and will use again. As a non-profit 100% of monies earned goes into our education and wildlife rehabilitation programs. There is no extra cost to you! Just enter the site via our recommendation and purchase whatever it is you want. Thanks!